Your roofing system keeps your home safe and damage-free from the harsh elements. But age and constant exposure to these same elements can deteriorate your roof to the point that it will need to be replaced. Before calling your trusted roofing contractor and starting the project, you’ll want to decide on a few essentials. These include your choice of roofing material, which will influence the longevity and overall performance of your new system. Options abound in today’s market, from versatile asphalt shingles and metal, to classic tiles and slate, which makes choosing a bit daunting.
But no worries – here’s how to pick the right roofing material for your home:
Weigh the Advantages of Popular Roofing Materials
You won’t lack for options when it comes to roofing material. To help you decide on the option that best suits your home and needs, read up on each material’s unique features and benefits. The go-to roofing choices available today include:
- Metal: Sleek and lightweight, metal residential roofing can effectively protect your home against weather damage. When installed and maintained properly by a reliable roofer, this option can provide up to 50 years of superior performance.
- Asphalt shingles: Millions of homes across the country are graced by asphalt shingles – and for good reason! They are cost-effective and durable enough to withstand extreme weather conditions. Depending on the type and quality, asphalt shingles can last to 20 years or more.
- Cedar shakes: Considered a premium option, cedar shakes not only enhance the look of your home with their classic good look, but -they also offer natural insulating properties that keep your living space cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Their cost and maintenance requirements may be off-putting, but their many benefits more than make up for these slight drawbacks. Cedar shakes have a standard service life of 25 years.
Stick to the Same Roofing Material
If you want an easy and safe option, just go for the same material your old roofing system used. You already know how it looks with your home, and you understand how much maintenance it will need. But if you want to update your home or even give it a brand-new look (and you have the budget for it), why not choose something different? Just make sure to consult a trusted local roofing contractor like Rojas Roofing, who will give you the details about any necessary alterations that may need to be done to your roof. For example, if you pick a heavier material like slate or tile, the roof structure will need to be reinforced first so it can safely accommodate the additional weight.
Determine How Well the Material Fares Under Your Local Climate
Your choice of roofing material may depend on your area’s weather patterns. In regions that are predominantly hot and dry, many homes use tile roofing. That’s because the material can easily withstand wear and tear from blistering sunlight. Plus, it blocks excessive heat transfer, which allows for a cooler and more comfortable home. In areas that are prone to heavy downpours, metal is an excellent option because its sleek surface can efficiently shed copious amounts of rainwater. If you live in an area with moderate weather, cedar shakes, asphalt shingles and slate are great choices.
Be Guided by Your Home’s Architectural Style
Your roofing system is a huge and crucial part of your home’s design, and the last thing you want is to pick a material that would make the system look out of place. When investing in a roof replacement job, always consider the existing architectural style of your home. Some roofing materials just look and work plain better when paired with a specific home style. For example:
- Asphalt shingles are perfect in traditional and suburban home styles, such as Craftsman, Colonial and Farmhouse.
- Clay and concrete tiles look great with Mediterranean, Mission, Southwestern and Spanish-style homes.
- Metal roofing is a staple in Cabin, Contemporary, Bungalow and Modernist homes.
- Slate residential roofing elevates the look of Colonial, Queen Anne and French Chateau homes.
- Cedar shakes and shingles add to the warm and rustic appearance of Cottage, Cape Cod, Craftsman and Tudor-style homes.
Take Your Available Budget Into Account
When your budget isn’t an issue, you can pretty much choose any material you want. Premium slate and cedar shakes, for instance, are always a favorite because of their natural beauty and timeless elegance. For those looking for a good alternative, durable and stylish asphalt shingles are available as well. They are versatile enough to emulate the rich look and feel of genuine slate tiles and wood shakes, allowing for many design possibilities – but at the fraction of the cost.
You can also go for synthetic slate shingles, which puts a contemporary spin to a classic roofing option. They are typically made of combinations of rubber and plastic (some use mineral dust and cellulose fibers), and are designed to resemble the uniqueness and beauty of natural slate. Because some synthetic slate shingles also have advanced ultraviolet (UV) inhibitors, which reduce wear and tear from the sun, they can be more durable and longer lasting than classic slate. And, the best part: they are far more reasonably priced.
Check How Energy-Efficient the Roofing Material Is
Most roofing materials offer great energy performance. Tile and slate roofing, for instance, offer great insulation against extreme heat and cold. Cedar shakes and shingles are the same way, providing an effective barrier that helps keep your home consistently comfortable no matter the season. Metal roofing, meanwhile, has inherent reflective properties that reduce solar heat transfer. These help minimize the load on your air conditioner, which means fewer zeros in your monthly bills. As for asphalt shingles, some of them come with advanced cooling technology that prevents attic heat buildup and keep cooling costs to a minimum.
If you’re having trouble deciding on a material, just consult your dependable residential roofing company, Rojas Roofing. We are more than happy to help you pick the right choice for your home. Plus, you can count on us to install your new roofing system to quality standards. We already have years of experience working with many different roofing materials of all shapes and kinds. Whether it’s asphalt shingles or metal you want, expect us to do the work perfectly right the first time. No shortcuts and expensive callbacks – only complete satisfaction through exceptional workmanship.
Look no further than Rojas Roofing for your roof replacement needs. We proudly serve the areas in and around Carmel and Fishers, IN. Call us today at (317) 864-6193, or fill out this contact form to schedule your consultation. We’d love to hear from you!